August 6, 2009

An Amusing Park



Tivoli Gr na Lund is an amusement park smack dab in the middle of Stockholm. Today I went with my cousin Tina, Marten, and Marten and Nina's daughters. I felt like an adult at an amusement park for the first time in my life as I went on the kid rides with my little cousins. I really had no adult duties in the form of saying no or making potty runs, partly due to the language barrier (they speak Swedish) but mostly due to their father being there. I think of it as renting children. I get to have fun and play with them then when things get real I look over at their dad. It's a great deal for me.
It was my first time as a full grown adult riding the smaller children rides and I must say that kids rides were not made to fit adults. It was actually a fun experience spending the day on kids rides because it is hilarious watching dads and moms squeeze into these little rides and still act like they are having fun even though they are so obvioulsy uncomfortable. I was laughing at the children that are so involved in their own world while riding the rides that they don't even notice their parents sitting next to them cramped into a fiberglass elephant spinning in circles.

Gr na Lund is a fun little park. I was surprised by how many rides and attractions that they were able to pack into the middle of Sweden's capital. The park was a ton of fun, mostly because it was fun for me to hang out with my little cousins. I was able to get on most of the rides except for "Insane." It is one of the main attractions there so we waited in line and as soon as we got to the front of the line the ride started to have problems. We waited as they said it would only take a few minutes to fix the ride. After about 30 minutes the engineers were still working on the problem and as I looked over and saw four workers flipping through what looked like an instruction manual I realized that even if they told us the problem was fixed I would probably be insane to ride it. My first foray into Swedish amusement parks was a blast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sean - I was just updating the reading of your entries and believe me when you get home, you will be so happy you did this. I am slowly catching up on my own and reading other riders that I had no time to do in June and July.
    Amusement park and little kids - amen to spoiling and sending back to parents. Going in circle to find ferry - I could just picture you being so.... frustrated! Continue having fun!! Carole

    ReplyDelete