August 31, 2009

Planning a Trip

I have already fallen into the lifestyle here in Cairns. Today I decided to get some housekeeping done by doing some laundry, restocking on groceries, and planning my next few days here. Cairns is in a great spot for seeing a number of things and I wanted to see what exactly was on offer. I am not much of a planner, though, so I was working in a field that I am no expert in.

I woke up around 10 and got started on my busy day. I made my way down to the McDonalds so that I could check my e-mails and get a few tips from my travel planner Google. I quickly got distracted by a few of the folks at the hostel, so my 10am McDonalds target quickly became a 12:30 McDonalds time, and now instead of being a solo act, I was joined by 3 other laptop toting guys, free internet seekers. We got to McDs and set up shop. As I started to turn my computer on we all began talking and as soon as the internet turned on we were all basking in the hilarity that the internet has to offer. Videos, songs, and pictures flickered from one screen to the other as we all got preoccupied doing everything but the business we came to conduct. Eventually all of our batteries died and we headed back to the hostel with nothing accomplished.

I decided to take a nap when I got back, after all I had been up for nearly five hours and I had almost gotten something done for the day, so I needed to rest up for the next half of the day when my plan to plan things would likely come to fruition. This hostel has a bunch of hammocks, so I picked one out, got about one sentence into my magazine, and fell fast asleep.

When I awoke I looked at the time and realized it was dinner time. I headed out, got something to eat with a few of the guys from the hostel. Eventually I made my way back to the hostel, turned on my computer and realized that I hadn't done anything on my checklist. That thought made me tired, so I am going to go to sleep and try again tomorrow. It is amazing how easy it is to get nothing done. I didn't even have to try and I was able to accomplish absolutely nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad planning isn't a genetic transmission.

    xo

    ReplyDelete