June 27, 2009

The Happy Hour Shower

Apparently in Pueblo, Colorado they have what they call the "Happy Hour" shower. Nearly everyday around 5 o'clock or so a torrential storm dumps for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I like to think of myself as a knowledgeable person and I have an alright grasp of weather patterns and meteorology, but the daily dump of rain just seems asinine to me. How does that happen? It is literally like clock work. Today I got caught in the rain again. For some reason I felt that I could outsmart nature, but I was mistaken.

Today was our second day staying in Pueblo. We had a rest day so we did not ride, but the staff still had to work. My tasks for the day were to wash the vans and redistribute items between the vans. I washed the vans in the morning heat. The sun scorches out here. I am used to the thick layer of smog and toxic gases that cover Los Angeles County and tame the powerful sun. Here in the fresh air the sun has no pollution to work it's way through so one hundred percent of those ultra-violet rays break through and sear your skin like a bug under a magnifying glass. After cleaning the vans I came back to the motel for my mid day nap. When I awoke from my nap I looked out the window and saw an ominous black cloud off in the distance. I didn't think much of it and made my way outside to finish my work for the day. From the time it took me to put on a shirt and get out side the cloud had positioned itself right over the motel parking lot, and my workspace.

"It was sunny this morning without a cloud in the sky, there is no way that it is going to rain." I assured myself, clearly disregarding my newly acquired experience of the the Happy Hour Shower. Sure enough, I open the van door and simultaneously the thunder cracks and the heavens pour out a small ocean in seconds. This phenomenon will never cease to amaze me. Now that I was thoroughly convinced that it was going to rain I jumped in the van and slammed the door. I waited and the rain let up after about 15 minutes or so. Who the hell invented freakish weather like that and what were they thinking?

I have a random thought to share today; why are handicapped toilets so much higher than non handicapped toilets? I don't mean to offend, but I don't think that the average handicapped person is seven feet tall. I also want to know who has a breakfast buffet with just side dishes? The buffet this morning had sausage, bacon, eggs, and hash browns. No pancakes, waffles, french toast, omelets, nothing that would constitute a main breakfast course. What is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment