July 26, 2009

Last Day Living La Villa Loca

Today is our last day at the Villa. For the past week the folks that Seth and I have shared a living space with have become great friends. This past week has been an experience that I will never forget. I am still quite bewildered that our whole Croatian experience all stemmed from a couple of Irishmen that Seth and I met on our train ride from Berlin to Prague. It is funny how life works out sometimes. In honor ofour last day here we did absolutely nothing special. We all slept in until noon, then mosied out of bed for a bowl of corn flakes and tepid milk.
I need to vent for one second. Refrigeration in Europe is an absolute joke. We have a refrigerator in the villa and it is more like a thermos than an actual refrigerator. We put things in there and when we take them out they are a little cooler than room temperature. In America when I take a drink out of the refrigerator it is sub-zero, colder than Antarctica, hurt your hand, teeth, and throat, cold. I am not saying that American refrigeration is better, because I am sure that American's electric bills are higher, but for Pete's sake, man, it is worth it to have a cold drink. Not only is the refrigeration system a joke, but no restaurant gives you ice in your glass. Its 100 freaking degrees and I ask for ice water and I get this tepid liquid that is about as refreshing as sand in a desert. I just don't understand. Europeans dont understand what they are missing. Ice cold beverages are awesome.
Ok, venting complete. What was I talking about? Ah, yes, the last day in the Villa. We did what we have done most every day here and woke up late, ate, swam, ate, siesta-ed (this can not be a real word, but you know what I mean) ate dinner, then called it a day. We did jump off of some more stuff into the sea again. I have no idea why it is so much fun to jump off of a 25 foot high rock into water, but it is. One thing that I will miss most about the Villa is having a cup of evening tea on the balcony, watching the sunset, and bullshitting the time away with a group of perfect strangers who I now consider some of my good friends.

1 comment: