September 11, 2009

Back In America

For the first time in a long time I got to walk through the "Citizens" line at the customs and border check.  When the agent checked my customs form he asked me if I had been to any other countries prior to Australia and as I started the list he stopped me, smiled and said, "I'll just put "others."  He stamped my passport and I was home.  I'm actually in Hawaii, which is the most familiar place I have been in a while.  I like some of the familiar feelings, but at the same time it's a reminder to me that my travels have neared their end.

As I walked out of the airport I was greeted by my friend who lives here.  Having a real person pick you up from the airport is such a treat.  I didn't realize how much I liked it until I got in Andy's car.  Stepping out of the airport, or off of the train or boat, was a different feeling in each country and besides my cousin picking Seth and I up in Sweden this was the only other time I had a friendly face to greet me.  I think it just starts things off on a good note.

I didn't sleep or eat on the plane so I was hungry, but surprisingly not that tired.  Andy had the perfect plan: malasadas at Leonard's bakery.  Leonard's is one of my favorite eateries in Hawaii.  They are known for their malasadas, which are Portugese donuts.  They are just custard filled donuts, but they are ridiculously delicious.  It took us about a minute to tear through the entire box.  Not having had super fattening sugar loaded American food for a few months I immediately felt so full I thought I would burst.  It was good to be back in America, where fat people are made, not born.  It will take a little training and a lot of hard work, but I'm hoping I can harden back up my arteries in a few weeks.  I had a burrito for lunch, so I jumped right in.  It really is amazing to me how many calories you can buy for such a little amount of money.  I guess when you buy in bulk you get a discount though.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the US bro...I'll miss your travelogues, and I'm sorry that your journey is coming to an end, but I am looking forward to seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete