July 13, 2009

Ah Hoy!

We arrived in Prague today. The best part about Prague is saying hello. To say hello it is "Ah Hoy." I am guessing that all pirates are from Prague, and for the whole time I am here I am going say hello just like a pirate. I am sure the novelty will wear off, but for now it's a pirates life for me. What a great country the Czech Republic is. You get to say Ah Hoy everyday, how cool is that?

Our mode of travel into Prague was the train. It was an interesting experience as we did not have a reservation for a seat, which meant that we would snatch up a seat on a first come, first serve basis. Although it was not the mad dash that I expected, there was a good deal of eyeballing from those walking by who were not lucky enough to grab a seat. They would look at us and, in the most polite manner possible, we would give them the non-verbal "can't sit here" body language. Seth and I completely lucked out and were placed in a little cubicle, which seats 6, with two Irish guys, a girl from Canada, and a girl from South Korea. Seth and I had planned to sleep the five hour train ride to Prague away, but instead we had a blast chatting it up with our train mates. It really made the time fly from Berlin to Prague as we all shared stories of the different sights in Berlin. The Irish guys were great too because their accents are just brilliant. Sometimes I can barely recognize their English, but I still would chuckle just because they sound like a Lucky Charms commercial.
When we got to Prague our host, Richard, met us at the train station. He had train passes for us and took us straight to the subway and to his apartment. Seth was very appreciative of this, as was I, since it meant not having to listen to Seth bitch about how his back pack weighed as much as a humpback whale. After settling down, we headed back into the city center where we were treated to perhaps the most beautiful city that Seth or I have ever been to.
Walking on the cobblestone streets you turn a corner and are treated to grand buildings, medieval architecture, and just some of the most awe-inspiring castles that I have seen. I had no idea that anything like this existed outside of Disneyland or fairy tales. As far as first impressions go, Prague has been the most stunning. I can not wait to explore more tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. First off, beautiful pics bro, and second, if you can (and on a much lighter note), see if you can track down the location of the Defenestration Of Prague. It's one of my favorite named historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.muzeumkomunismu.cz/
    A central located museum worth going to if you are any interested in their dark history. The museum is both depressing and stunning... /MÃ¥rten

    ReplyDelete