July 15, 2009

Today was our day to visit Prague's Castle. The castle sits atop a hill across the river from the city's main square. There is a gothic church that juts up from the center of the castle, ominously looming over the entire city. It is a truly "savage" building as Cormac, our new Irish friend, would say. Our Frommer's guide book told us that the walk to the castle should only be attempted by those in good condition, or avid walkers. Seth and I braved the cobbles and made the trek over to the castle.

The church at the center of the castle is perhaps one of the most intricatley ornamented structures that I have ever beheld. I never knew that you could fit so many gargoyles on a building, but apparently you can put a gargoyle on top of a gargoyle on top of a gargoyle. There are a shit load of gargoyles on that church. The castle itself is neat, but it is the view of the city that really makes the castle prime real estate.

Seth and I explored the Little Quarter near the castle and ended up having a romantic pizza dinner in a little Italian restaurant at the base of the hill. We were both starving and as we ordered we looked around and realized that we were the only couple in the restaurant that wasn't a couple, if you know what I'm saying. We made sure to abide by all the "Bro Laws" and not eat off each others plates or anything.

Seth and I spend most of our days walking around the city just gabbing about how amazing this place is. At first the massive amounts of tourists was a bit off putting, but I have learned to love the crowds seeing as there are always new people to meet. Just today as I was walking down the street I passed an older gentlemen who was carrying a trumpet case. I said to,"trumpet huh? I play trumpet as well." He looked at me and asked me where I was from. When I told him Los Angeles he started to name off some of his favorite L.A. trumpet players and I would finish the names he would start to say. After swapping our favorite players I asked him who he plays with in Prague and he told me, very nonchalantly,"I am theco-principal in the Prague Symphony Orchestra." My only reply was a big grin, so I shook his hand and asked him if he was tired of playing Dvorak to which he just laughed. Dvorak is the most famous Czech composer, and I know that the Prague Orchestra plays his pieces quite a bit, so I know he got the joke.

The people, the castles, the churches, this city has all kinds of tricks up it's sleeve when it comes to surprising me with greatness. Seth and I have had a great time, even if we did have to take a tram up a hill only to not have enough cash to get up the observation tower which led to a 30 minute wild goose chase in search of an ATM. It was worth it, though, if nothing else for the museum dedicated to the man voted "Best Czech of All Time". His name was Jara da Cimrman and he never existed. He was created by two comedians in the 60s and has since become a piece of Czech folklore. So much so that when a poll was taken a few years ago as to the greatest Czech, Cimrman won the voting. What kind of citizenry votes a made up guy the best of their country. Funny stuff.






1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work Sean. I follow the blog every day. When is Seth going to guest write?

    -DC Luis

    ReplyDelete