July 12, 2009

Karoke

You haven't experienced American pop music until you have been assaulted by the sonic waves of German karaoke being thrown at you. Today Seth, Jose, our amazing host while staying in Berlin, and I headed to the flea market near the soccer stadium. On Sunday most businesses are closed, which drives those craving to consume to the flea market. Jose was kind enough to take us to the flea market so that we could get a taste of the not so touristy side of Berlin. It was well worth it.
The flea market portion was like any other flea market, with cheap, old stuff that I am amazed people buy. Who needs a broken extension cord? Apparently, someone does, because the guy selling it wouldn't sell it if it didn't sell. I liked my man Seth's observation of the Captain America comic book transalted into German. The irony being that Captain America's chief purpose in the early issues was to fight the Germans. I think Seth and I were the only one's chuckling at that, but it just goes to show that capitalism knows no boundaries.

As we made our way through the market we stumbled upon an outdoor festival. There was a grass embankment with hundreds of people sitting, watching a stage so we moved in for a peek. As we got closer we realized that the singing was slightly off key and the tune was familiar. The scene had all the familiar markings of karaoke, including alcohol. I might mention that Germans drink beer. I don't mean that they drink it with dinner, or in bars, they drink on the subway, walking across the street, waiting for the bus. There is no open carry law in Germany so anyone who wants a drink has one, and usually takes it to go. This is alien to me, being that in the states you can hardly transport a closed container of alcohol from point A to point B.
As we grabbed a patch of grass, we sat and listened to the talent-less talent show. I must say that there are some songs that are least more entertaining, although far more painful to listen to, when being performed by someone who speaks not a lick of English. My favorite of the day was a German guy's rendition of James Brown's ""I Feel Good." The guy was not that bad, but he got the crowd into it, and I'm a sucker for a performer. (note from Seth: I don't think Sean has imparted to you the way this place felt. There were perhaps 1 THOUSAND Germans cheering their heads off at some 15 year old's rendition of "Since U Been Gone." Like Bruce frikkin Springsteen was rocking the house down. Insanity. I still can't get over it).
The festival was a great place to people watch. I heard a surprising amount of English as we walked through the crowds. There were a few guys playing basketball, kids playing on a jungle gym, and groups of people everywhere, just enjoying the lazy Sunday afternoon. Seth, Jose, and I all had a great time relaxing with the Berliners. Seth even found a messenger bag to replace his ridiculous fanny pack. Seth contends that the fanny pack is making a comeback, but I insist that is impossible because it was never in. The popped collar, however, seems to be alive and well in many parts of Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment