August 26, 2009

The Monsoon


So it rained today. I didn't think much of it because I was inside most of the day. After my visit to the coiffeur I strolled around for a bit. I then realized that I hadn't eaten anything and it was 2 in the afternoon. I hopped into the nearest eatery and grabbed a bite. As I was gnawing on lunch I looked outside and noticed that it was raining. The rain began as a trickle, then, as if the dam broke from the leak it had sprung, the heavens opened and visibility went to nil. I saw people running for cover so I decided that it was a good idea to grab a post lunch tea and some dessert. The rain only lasted for about 15 minutes or so and once it let up I made my way outside. As I stepped out of the restaurant I felt as if I was transported to another world. Cars were wheel-well high in water, people were gathering their things as they floated down the street, I was just waiting for Noah to float by in his ark.
I guess these monsoons they have here are serious business. I chatted with the hotel manager after wading my way back and he said that this has been a really dry season. He was telling me that they usually have rain like that, but it usually doesn't stop for weeks. Once again, I'm glad I live in Los Angeles, where rain is worth interrupting Days of Our Lives as "breaking news." The part that I understand the least is why the city is designed so poorly to accommodate the monsoons. This was a quick rain in a dry season and the section of the city I was in came to a stand-still. If that lasted weeks Delhi would float away. They know it's coming, so why not prepare? I am only an arm chair critic, though, so I do not have room to criticize. It was pretty crazy, though. I had to smile, though, because last time I was in rain that hard I was bailing water out of a doorway. I decided that I am in retirement for now when it comes to bailing water, and I don't see a comeback anytime soon.


By the way, India has the coolest coins ever, I put a picture of the backs of the 1 and 2 Rupee coins. How awesome is it to have a thumbs up on your countries currency? I laughed so hard when I saw that. Its just great.

1 comment: