June 12, 2009

Killing Time on Interstate 80


I’m not sure that any car was designed for sitting on the side of the interstate and waiting, but I can now go on the record and state that a Ford Econo-Van packed with bikes, food, water, tools, and me, was not designed for that duty. Waiting is something that I am used to so I try to make the best of it. Today I spelled out “Sean Rocks” in rocks. After those fifteen minutes had passed I chased a lizard on the side of the road for a bit. Those crafty little reptiles sure can move when provoked. I also watched an ant lift a moth and carry it for about a yard, and then he left it and kept walking…quitter.


It never ceases to amaze me how much nothing there is. The riders rode 91 miles today from town to town, with a rest stop, a gas station, and a only a handful of exits, most of which lead to nowhere or nothingness themselves. Luckily I was able to utilize this valuable time to test out some science experiments as well. I poured two handfuls of water on the asphalt, one in the shade and one in the sun. Then I watched and timed how long it took each to evaporate. It was amazing, hell it was more than amazing, it was science.





Boredom is a very unique state of mind. I found that while I am bored I try to force myself to do creative things to pass time. Sometimes I try to practice writing with my opposite hand, however that was short lived when after writing a whole page I went back to read what I wrote and there was not one legible word on the page. It looked like I had sneezed ink all over the page. That was enough to convince me that I am a righty and a righty I shall stay. I have so many projects than began with boredom and remain unfinished due to real responsibility. Being bored makes me appreciate being busy.





I have now lost complete control of time as well. I awoke this morning swearing up and down that it was Wednesday. Then I looked at my calendar in disbelief, so I called the operator, because I need at least two verifications to override my gut feeling. She asked where I was calling from and I replied, “Interstate 80”. After a quick bit of awkward silence she came back with her calm, scripted voice and stated, “It is Friday on interstate 80 today. Is there anything else I can do for you today?” I thanked her and bid her a happy Friday. After my instinctual calendar proven wrong, I quickly came to the realization that it is not such a bad thing to not know what day it is. The sun comes up regardless. Tomorrow we tackle another leg through the beautiful Nevada desert, sand as far as the eye can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment