June 9, 2009

Thinking Time

I was eating dinner last night at a buffet and as I was in line piling high my sixth plate of food (I'm a sampler, what can I do?) a lady noticed my America by Bicycle t-shirt and struck up a conversation. After I convinced her that we really do ride our bikes she asked, "so what do you think about for 6 hours a day riding your bike?" I gave her the standard answer of, "well, you know, gee golly, I just love riding my bike because the, blah, blah, blah...", but I thought more about what I think about when I ride.

The range of thoughts is pretty narrow. "Pedal...turn left...pedal...shift gears...drink water...man I gotta pee but I don't wanta stop..stop sign...how big of a fine is it to pee in public?..guy walking dog...did he give me a weird look?..does he want a piece of me?..thats right, he better look the other way...sweet a bathroom...hey look, an eagle...that would be cool to fly...I wonder if you can ride an eagle like a horse...horses can't fly...that would be cool to fly..."

Sometimes I try to make up stupid jokes. I often think of who the first person was to tell a joke for the first time. I took a comedic world literature class and the professor mentioned something that sparked this thought, he said, "the funniest person that ever lived has most likely been long forgotten because they probably couldn't write, so we have no record of him or her." None of my jokes are any good. When I am riding up in the mountains, far away from people, sometimes I talk to the squirrels or the trees. I guess I am not selling the beauty of bicycle riding.

Tomorrow we will be riding over the Donner Pass and in honor of that I will leave you with the only cannibal joke I know.
"Two cannibals are eating a comedian and one cannibal stops, wrinkles his nose, then turns to the other cannibal and asks, 'does this taste funny to you?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment