June 11, 2009

Mount Rose

On the agenda for today was Mount Rose. Overlooking Lake Tahoe, Mount Rose tops out at 8,991 feet above sea level, which was plenty high enough to provide for some spectacular views of Tahoe. As we pulled out I walked by the front desk of the hotel and asked the smiling chap what the weather would be like.

"It's 37 degrees with a bit of chill to the wind, coldest day of the spring so far," he smiled.


What an A-hole. He obviously doesn't know that he is supposed to lie to me so that I can curse him under my breath until the sun warms me up above arctic temperatures. Some people just don't understand. So as my smile turned to a frown I walked through the front door into the numbness. I am a southern California boy, born and raised, so 37 is cold. As I mount my bike to ride out for the day I notice that the New England Contingent of riders is not even wearing jackets. I am wearing damn near everything that I own. No joke, I am wearing three layers of clothing which includes a windproof outer layer and these folks are pedaling off like we are in the freaking Bahamas. They must rub chicken fat on their bodies or have some voodoo heat dance they do because there is no possible way that they are comfortable.


Besides the weather it was another incredible day. The group, both staff and riders, are all interesting folks. We have not spent more than 12 hours in anyone place so the conversation and company of the 30 or so people make up our temporary "home". I am just soaking it all up. I am by far the youngest person here which is a great opportuity. Whenever I get to talking to anyone somehow the conversation steers into dispensing advice to me, which I am glad to oblige. I am absolutely fascinated by how different we all are and how each person's view of reality is so unique.


Well tomorrow we leave from Reno, yes, the biggest little city in the world, and head out towards Lovestock, Nevada. The weather forecast calls for a high in the low 80s, good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment