October 5, 2011

Lobster Captial of Maine

The road from the capital of Maine led us to the lobster capital of Maine.  If you ask me that is a lot of capitals for a state of only 1.3 million people.  Perhaps Maine is the capital of capitals.  Who the hell cares really?  Anyway, today was a bike day for me and it worked out great.  There was a chill to the air but it was welcome.  

 As I was downloading all of the images from my digital camera I came to realize that I have very few people in my photos.  All of my photos have nature settings as the main character and it made me realize that I am a city boy through and through.  I stopped in at a convenience store off of one of the back roads and conversed a bit with the clerk, as I am a man of the people, and as I mentioned the beauty of the foliage he stared blankly and replied, "yep."  So I pressed him and asked, " don't you think it's pretty amazing?"  To which he came back with, "I ain't been more than 100 miles away from this store so I don't really think much of it because I haven't known anything else."  I nodded, picked up my Vitamin Water, and thanked him as I set out.  I wonder if he would think that my home town is beautiful.  Probably not, but I am sure he would have the sense of awe at it's contrast to his locale as I have to his.  This is all deeply philosophical and really gets at the root of all that makes us human.  Right?  Obviously not, but it was able to occupy my mind for the last 25 miles of the ride since everyone had paired off and I rode those miles on my own.

Maine is a beautiful place.  I had to laugh to myself.  The houses out here on the back road are really nestled in the trees, about 60 yards from the road.  The houses are visible from the road but not until you are square in the sight from their driveway.  House after house I looked onto their property to find Halloween decorations.  Nothing unusual when it comes to decorations.  You have scarecrows, Jack-O-Lanterns, and ghosts.  But when you decorate your house with that stuff out in the backwoods it looks creepy as hell.  I would not trick or treat at these houses.  Not even as a grown up.  Again, though, I guess if I was raised here my perspective would be different.
 In Rockwell we of course had to have a lobster dinner.  Tomorrow I will be back on the van and we will be back on the road.  More foliage!



This is Harold the lobster.  He was delicious and came with a side of rice.

This is Thomas and he is inedible.


2 comments:

  1. You named the lobster you ate? This from a child who refused to go back to the fair because bacon was the prize at the piggy races?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean,
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes pictures of my food. Ride safe and eat well my friend.
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete