October 6, 2011

Pumpkins and Apples


There are some big pumpkins out there folks.  I mean big.  In fact there is a place that grows pumpkins so big that they end up hollowing them out and using them as boats to race in the harbor.  That place is called Damariscotta, Maine.  We ventured through there today.  That is where I was able to meet Chris Caranthan's 1293 pound pumpkin.  That is the picture of us up there.  Big freaking pumpkin.  Yes, they do actually hollow them out and race them in the harbor.  We don't get to see that because it is on Sunday, but seeing the pumpkins was a great consolation prize.  They are huge.  Hell, you could live inside if you needed.


Not only did we see some amazing pumpkins we also stopped at an apple orchard to have some amazing apple treats.  It just so happens that honey crisp apples were peak season when we stopped in.  For those of you who have never had the pleasure of a eating a honey crisp apple, let me tell you that they are the absolute best variety of apple ever.  I am sure they are the apple that inspired Johnny Appleseed to plant so many apple trees.  They are that good.  After the honey crisp apple, I indulged in some fresh apple cider and a cider donut.  Sweet merciful crap it was delicious!  I am salivating thinking about them.  The best part about the orchard is that you get to pick your apple off of the tree, which I think added to the deliciousness of the apple.  I had never eaten a freshly picked apple before.


Along the route we also ran across an amazing artist.  He makes everything out of metal scraps and there is no limit to his imagination.  I could describe his work but he was nice enough to let us take pictures so I will just show it.  You can also visit his site here http://recyclesculptor.com/



Pretty awesome view shortly after we departed Rockwell.

And this is the view from our hotel patio.  It's not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment